Friday, June 29, 2018

The God of Small Miracles – Deacon Chris

             I spent the better part of today helping to clean the entryway into St. Vincent de Paul here in Green Bay. It quickly became apparent that one of the major issues facing the site came from littering. It was my task to pick up cigarettes that had been extinguished outside the building. At first, I wondered to myself, “what greater purpose does this serve?” How could picking up trash help to forward the Kingdom of God? And then it came to me, God is the Lord of small miracles. Removing trash serves to restore the human dignity of the poor. They deserve to enter a store that is clean and well organized. They deserve to be welcomed as a valued customer and fellow human being -created in the image of God. Certainly, in the days to come more trash will accumulate at the store front, but for a brief period of time my hands were used to perform a miracle of God. The bag of trash became much more than a collection of refuse, it became an act of love for people I would never see or know. Our God is truly Lord of Small Miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment