Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Hi from Jacob!

Jacob—

My name is Jacob H and this is my first YNIA trip. This years destination was Green Bay, Wisconsin (Cheese Country) A.K.A Packer Nation. So far on this trip we have spread the influence of the amazing Patriots over packer territory. While we all split up into groups and go out and help out different sites, we all unite in solidarity to help out people. My group and I (Lisa Shelly Lindsey Hannah Belle and Christian) are all volunteering at the NEW Community Shelter. The work we are doing there is some gardening and possibly some indoor cleaning or setting up meals. So far we have mainly gardened. We have planted many tomatoes, squash, melons, weird decorative peppers, and many many MANY flowers. It has been an amazing and eye opening experience that I am extremely happy to be on. We met a man named Otis who told us his life story. It really helped us or at least myself open our hearts to the cause. I find myself hoping to do more for the shelter and the people volunteering and living there. As for the life outside of the sites. It is very fun and unifying. It doesn’t seem like anyone here is a stranger to be exact. I must’ve made at least 4 friends with the other states group. We sometimes gather (even the adults) inside a blue sewer like tube that surprisingly doesn’t smell to bad, and even though against the words of Deacon Chris, there are no spiders. The team of program directors John Aimee and Joshua have done an amazing job of banding everyone together. They keep us busy but in fun ways. There are some down sides to YNIA such as waking up at 6:30am but maybe that’s cause im not a morning person, although the beautiful singing from Deacon Chris does make it easier to wake up non-crankily. Overall I would say that YNIA is a beautiful experience that would most likely make everyone that partakes in it a happy person and I believe that it would open up the minds of said people as well, I know it has for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment