Thursday, June 28, 2018

Hi from Hannah M!


            Hello, my name is Hannah M. I am 16 years old and I am an incoming junior at BVT. This is my second year participating in YNIA, and this year I am spending my week at the New Community Shelter. The New Community Shelter is a homeless shelter for (homeless) people looking to put in an effort and change their life for the better. The New Community Shelter provides classes, such as computer classes and financial classes, to help residents makes their desired changes. This week, my group and I have been working outside; we have been planting vegetable so that the residents and community members can have fresh veggies for meals, and we have also been planting flowers to make the New Community Shelter’s grounds more presentable. My group and I have met many residents and previous residents who have all told us their story. Hearing these stories from the residents has really changed my perspective on the homeless population. Originally, I thought the homeless were people who have given up and didn’t make an effort in their lives, but this week I have learned that everyone’s story is different and that one decision can drastically change a life. While spending time in Green Bay, I have also learned that I strongly dislike cheese curds and that the people here don’t really like the Patriots very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment